1910 – 1916
Architect: Friedrich von Thiersch
Arcisstraße 21, Munich, Germany
The Thiersch Building, also known as the southern wing of the Munich Technical University, was completed between 1910 and 1916 according to plans by architect Friedrich von Thiersch.
Friedrich von Thiersch
Friedrich von Thiersch was a professor of architecture from 1879 until his death in 1921 and rector of the Technical University of Munich from 1906 to 1908.
Around 1900, the number of students rose sharply, and he was commissioned to expand the university. Starting in 1907, he planned the first major extension to the southwest corner of the grounds at the intersection of Gabelsbergerstrasse and Luisenstrasse.
Thierschbau
The so-called Thiersch Building consists of two three-story wings connected to an old building, as well as a richly sculpted central building with a tower that dominates the L-shaped complex. The Faculty of Architecture still occupies the building today.
Since its completion in 1916, the 37-meter-high clock tower, which is now a listed building, has stood over the complex.
Ernst Pfeifer designed the tower portal with its allegorical representations of technology and art.
Interiors
Thiersch designed the two new wings inside the building with rich floor ornamentation and colored marble railings in Art Nouveau forms.
On Gabelsbergerstrasse, the second floor housed the library and the architecture department’s plan collection of the Technical University in a suite of magnificently decorated rooms.
The gilded statue of the angel in the stairwell was designed by the sculptor Ludwig Dasio.
In keeping with state-of-the-art building technology at the time, the reinforced concrete ceilings were reinforced with steel girders to make the partition walls movable and allow for flexible use.
Renovation
From 2013 to 2019, the building underwent a comprehensive renovation.
Clock Tower
The striking clock tower, an important part of the city’s urban development, was converted for use as a venue for special events in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the TU’s founding in 2018.
To this end, the interior above the fourth floor was completely gutted, and the load-bearing reinforced concrete ceilings were replaced with a steel structure.
Grating walkways were installed around these levels and are accessed via steel stairs. These walkways are used as viewing platforms.









