1925 – 1926
Architect: Thomas Wechs
Franz-Kobinger-Straße 3, Augsburg
The former post office building on Franz-Kobinger-Strasse in Augsburg-Pfersee was built between 1925 and 1926 according to plans by architect Thomas Wechs. The client was the Oberpostdirektion Munich.
The development of Pfersee into an independent district of Augsburg and an industrial location necessitated the establishment of a separate post office.
At the beginning of March 1925, negotiations on the construction of a new post office in Pfersee took place with the Oberpostdirektion München.
Following the decision to build a new building, Thomas Wechs carried out the planning for Post Office 8 from spring to fall 1925.
The three-story rendered gable roof building with a clinker base is defined by an eaves-side entrance porch and side facades terminated by stepped gables.
Vertically, the building is structured on the facade surfaces by circumferential cornice bands with belt profiles.
The former counter room is divided by clinkered supporting pillars.
The bronze entrance door with a skylight is decorated by embossed images designed by the sculptor Michael Böck.
The chased reliefs depict tasks of the post office at that time: Letter transport, passenger transport with the post bus, children listening in front of a radio receiver, airmail transport with a biplane.
The year of construction can be seen both next to the eagle of the Reichspost in the skylight and on the wings of the airplane depicted on the door.
The building served as Pfersee’s post office until 2000 and is now used for commercial purposes.
In the immediate vicinity of the post office is the Sacred Heart Church, which was built in 1910 according to plans by architect Michael Kurz and is considered the largest Art Nouveau church in southern Germany.