1925 – 1931
Architects: Johannes Göderitz (direction), Konrad Rühl, Gerhard Gauger, Willy Zabel, Adolf Otto
Beimsplatz, Große Diesdorfer Strasse, Flechtinger Strasse, Walbecker Strasse, Magdeburg, Germany
Hermann-Beims-Siedlung in Magdeburg, with about two thousand apartments, was completed in several construction phases between 1925 and 1931 to designs by the City Expansion Office under the direction of Johannes Göderitz.
New areas for urgently needed housing were created in the west of the city under Mayor Hermann Beims.
Its design was carried out by the City Expansion Office, headed by Johannes Göderitz, in cooperation with the architects Konrad Rühl, Gerhard Gauger, Adolf Otto and Willy Zabel.
Clients were the Verein für Kleinwohnungswesen GmbH and the Magdeburger Gemeinnützige Heimstätten A.G., to which the city provided building land and which were operated with municipal shares.
Around 2,000 apartments with an average size of 63 square meters for four to five people were built between 1925 and 1929.
From 1930 to 1931, the estate was expanded by another thirty apartments as well as community facilities such as stores, a kindergarten and a green area.
Also in 1931, the settlement was named after Hermann Beims, the mayor of Magdeburg.
The development consists of three-story row buildings with flat roofs, arranged parallel to each other in a north-south direction and grouped around large landscaped residential courtyards.
Plaster, color and brick bands as well as balconies and staircases structure the facades. Window formats and shapes are varied, building edges are emphasized.
The facades are finished in roughcast plaster in ocher and yellow tones. Front doors and windows are intensively colored in red, green, black and yellow.
Block perimeter development on Großer Diesdorfer Straße, Enckestraße, Hohendodelebener Straße and Seehäuser Straße is covered with gable roofs.
Monument protection and Restoration
During the Second World War, the housing estate was only slightly damaged and largely rebuilt true to the original.
Between 1964 and 1968, 200 additional apartments were built in the previously undeveloped area between Seehäuser Strasse and Walbecker Strasse.
In 1980, the settlement was placed under a preservation order.
Today, it belongs to the municipal housing association of Magdeburg and has 2270 apartments.
Since the 1990s, the housing estate has been gradually renovated.