1925 – 1926
Architect: Walter Gropius
Gropiusallee 38, Dessau, Germany
The Bauhaus building was erected between 1925 and 1926 in Dessau, Germany, according to plans by architect Walter Gropius.
Reinforced concrete and glass characterise the architecture and create complex spatial and functional relationships. The supporting structure, a skeleton of reinforced concrete, is visible in the building and allows function and aesthetics to become one.
The building, constructed in the International Style, consists of five additively arranged in wing form, functionally structured:
The north wing of the craftsmen’s school and the workshop wing are connected by a two-story bridge. This was designed for administrative rooms as well as Gropius‘ construction office.
A flat building between the workshop wing and the studio building houses the stage and auditorium as well as the Bauhaus refectory.
The wall of the workshop wing, completely dissolved in glass, caused a sensation in its time.
The building’s supports and floor slabs are set back from the façade, so that the glass apron extends uninterruptedly over all three floors and the entire length of the building.
However, the delicate glass façade caused major problems: In summer, the building heated up enormously as a result of direct sunlight.
A necessary sun protection system of curtains in turn destroyed the intended transparency.
In winter, the building cooled down very quickly due to the single glazing and had to be heavily heated.
Ventilation is provided by mechanically controlled louvered sashes.
Restoration and Renovation
The building was restored and partially modernized in 1976. Between 1996 and 2006, a renewed restoration and repair took place according to the principles of monument preservation.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
Since 1996, the building complex has been part of the Bauhaus UNESCO World Heritage Site, which also includes the Haus am Horn, the art school building and the main building of the Bauhaus University in Weimar, the Masters‘ Houses in Dessau and, since 2017, the arcade houses in Dessau as well as the ADGB Federal School in Bernau.