Architect: Uli Seeck
Fountain: Emil Manz
Zum Künstlerhof 13–25, Munich
Uli Seeck planned the seven sculptor studios from 1929 to 1930 in the Neuhausen estate on a site that could not be built on higher due to the plot layout and the applicable building regulations.
Each studio consists of a two-story workroom with 45 square meters of floor space, an adjoining room, a storage room, WC, and a storage room for materials in the attic.
In the neighboring apartment blocks Zum Künstlerhof 1–11 and Schluderstraße 41–47 there are an additional thirteen studio apartments in the attics.
The complex is part of the large Neuhausen housing estate built from 1928 to 1930.
The construction of the housing estate was entrusted to a specially founded stock corporation, Gemeinnützige Wohnungsfürsorge AG (GEWOFAG), which has since become a municipal company.
On the outskirts of Neuhausen, where the city of Munich still had meadows and farmland in the 1920s, a total of 1,600 apartments, several stores, small craft businesses, four restaurants and two kindergartens were built on almost 190,000 square meters.
The architect Hans Döllgast was responsible for the entire project.
Today, thirty artists have their studios in the Künstlerhof.
Two four-story, elongated apartment blocks border the narrow access road, at the end of which the studios form a concluding square.
The studios with large windows, dark wooden doors and sculptural-looking fireplaces have high double doors at the back.
In the square in front of the entrances to the studios is a fountain with a group of storks by the sculptor Emil Manz from 1929.