Architects: Walter Krauss, Hermann Dürr
Burgkmaierstraße 18–20, Augsburg
The narrow terraced houses on Burgkmaierstrasse in Augsburg were built in 1905 according to plans by Walter Krauss and Hermann Dürr.
The facades of the three-story gable roof buildings are structured with plaster elements and sparse decoration in Art Nouveau forms.
They are integrated in an exemplary manner into the row of houses on Burgkmaierstraße and are connected by uniform garden grilles.
Grids and facade elements are decorated with forms of geometric Art Nouveau.
Characteristic of Art Nouveau architecture are facade decorations in imaginative shapes and lines derived from nature or non-European models.
The spectrum ranges from curved floral forms to geometric patterns.
Art Nouveau architecture is also characterized by emphasized asymmetry, diversity of materials and colorfulness. Art and craftsmanship were to form a unity, and by means of a Gesamtkunstwerk, art was to be brought into life, beauty into everyday life.
The architects Walter Krauss and Hermann Dürr ran a joint office in Augsburg.
They erected numerous buildings in Augsburg, including tenements on Beethovenstrasse, the Hesselberg Villa at the corner of Schaezlerstrasse and Frölichstrasse, the Dillmann House at the corner of Gutenbergstrasse and Frölichstrasse, a tenement at Schiessgrabenstrasse 4, and the Königsbau at the entrance to Bürgermeister-Fischer-Strasse.
The Augsburg architect and building contractor Sebastian Buchegger worked in the Krauss & Dürr office before setting up his own business.