1897 – 1898
Architect: Joseph Maria Olbrich
Friedrichstrasse 12, Vienna
The exhibition building of the artists‘ association Secession in Vienna was built between 1897 and 1898 according to plans by Joseph Maria Olbrich.
Below the dome, the motto of the Secession is emblazoned in golden letters: Der Zeit ihre Kunst, der Kunst ihre Freiheit (by Ludwig Hevesi).
To the left of the entrance door is a second motto: Ver Sacrum (Holy Spring), which is meant to express the hope for a new flowering of art and was the title of the artists‘ association’s publication.
The building rests on eight-meter-high concrete columns that reach down to the Vienna River, which flows underground at this point.
Gustav Klimt’s Beethoven Frieze, originally created in 1902 for a temporary exhibition at the Vienna Secession, is now back there on permanent loan from the Belvedere and can be seen in the basement.
The cubic building with four pylons and a cross wing is crowned by a dome formed by laurel leaves in gilded bronze.
Above the entrance there is a frieze with gorgons symbolizing painting, architecture and sculpture. The design of the gorgons was done by Othmar Schimkowitz.
In December 2017, the facade was renovated and the dome was restored.
The wrought-iron construction of the dome with a diameter of 8.5 meters was dismantled for a period of about six months.
In addition to repair welding and improvements to the supporting structure, all 2,500 leaves and 311 berries were recoated and regilded.
The restoration of the dome was completed in mid-May 2018.