1911 – 1914
Architect: Martin Elsaesser
Dorotheenstraße 4, Stuttgart
The competition had attracted 77 architects from Stuttgart. First place was awarded to Martin Elsaesser, for which he was awarded the building contract and prize money of 5000 marks.
The market hall was built between 1911 and 1914 under the direction of Elsaesser on a square where a sales hall for vegetables had been located since 1864.
Elsaesser tried to fit the exterior into Stuttgart’s old town, which was still intact at the time, and designed the exterior in the Refom style with Art Nouveau touches. .
The interior shows a functionalist reinforced concrete construction. Segmental arched girders span the 60 meter long and 25 meter wide hall, which is lit by a glass roof.
Two three-story side buildings, separated on the first floor by arcades, flank the hall.
After heavy destruction during the Second World War, the market hall was rebuilt and reopened in 1953.
In 1971 the market hall was to be demolished. An opposition of stall owners, citizens, press and monument office opposed this.
In the end, the local council decided to preserve the market hall.
The hall has been a listed building since 1972.
In 1993, a fire destroyed the interior, necessitating extensive renovation.
In 2014, the faded frescoes by artists Franz Heinrich Gref and Gustav Nida-Rümelin on the main façade of the market hall were professionally restored.