1910 – 1916
Architect: Friedrich von Thiersch
Arcisstraße 21, Munich, Germany
The so-called Thiersch Building was erected between 1910 and 1916 as the southern wing of the Munich Technical University according to plans by architect Friedrich von Thiersch.
Friedrich von Thiersch
When the number of students rose sharply around 1900, he was commissioned to expand the university and, starting in 1907, planned the first major extension in the southwest of the grounds at the corner of Gabelsbergerstrasse and Luisenstrasse.
The so-called Thiersch Building, which consists of two three-story wing buildings connected to the old building and a richly sculptured central building with a tower dominating the L‑shaped complex, still houses the Faculty of Architecture today.
Since its completion in 1916, the 37-meter high clock tower, now a listed building, has stood over the building complex.
The tower portal with its allegorical representation of technology and art was designed by Ernst Pfeifer.
Inside the building Thiersch designed the two new wings with rich floor ornamentation and colored marble railings in Art Nouveau forms.
On Gabelsbergerstrasse, the second floor housed the library and the plan collection of the architecture department of the Technical University in a suite of rooms magnificently decorated by Thiersch.
The gilded statue of the angel in the stairwell was designed by the sculptor Ludwig Dasio.
In keeping with the state of the art in building technology at the time, the reinforced concrete ceilings were reinforced with steel girders to make the partition walls movable and allow for flexible use.
The building underwent general renovation from 2013 to 2019.
The clock tower, which is striking in terms of urban development, was converted for representative use on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the founding of the TU in 2018.
For this purpose, the interior of the tower above the fourth floor was completely gutted and the load-bearing reinforced concrete ceilings were replaced by a steel structure.
Grating walkways were installed all around these levels, which are accessed via steel stairs and used as viewing platforms.