Architect: Paul Lange
Schuhmachergässchen 1–3, Leipzig
Besides cocoa, chocolate, chocolates and wafers from its own production, the company also traded in Japanese, Chinese and Oriental goods.
Two copper-driven elephant heads on the entrance door are the trademark of the company.
The architect found the model for the two-story curved roof turret of the house in classical Chinese architecture.
Parapets, pillars, main cornice and round gable are decorated with colorful mosaics in Art Nouveau style.
Jean George Riquet opened a „colonial wholesale business“ in Leipzig on November 15, 1745.
The company, which imported tea, coffee and spices, was initially located in Katharinenstraße, and from 1763 in Klostergasse 5.
Among Riquet’s customers was Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, who declared the brand his favorite chocolate and kept up a lively correspondence with Jean George Riquet.
After Riquet’s death, his nephew of the same name continued to run the business from 1791, handing it over to his partner Christian Friedrich Meyer in 1818, who expanded it into a „Thee-Specialgeschäft“.
Around 1850, Meyer established a department for retail trade in cocoa, English cookies, jams, coffee, alcoholic beverages, tobacco, Japanese and Chinese goods.
In 1890, the company began producing cocoa.
The number of employees increased steadily, and in 1921 there were about seven hundred employees working for Riquet.
Chocolate under the Riquet name has been produced by Waldbaur in Stuttgart since 1945.