1930 – 1931
Architect: Thomas Wechs
Rosenaustraße 70–74, Schlettererstraße 2–12, Augsburg
Thomas Wechs was commissioned by the Wohnungsbaugesellschaft der Stadt Augsburg GmbH (WBG) to build two residential complexes – the Schuberthof and Lessinghof – on Rosenaustraße.
The only requirement on the part of the city was to create as many low-rent apartments as possible.
Construction began in the fall of 1930, and Lessinghof was completed on August 1, 1931.
The four-story flat-roofed buildings are entirely committed to the principles of New Building: flat roofs, window bands, white plaster and colored window profiles.
The Lessinghof had a total of 68 apartments.
There were three types of apartments: The smallest living space averaged about 70 square meters with two to three rooms.
The medium-sized apartments had an average of 90 square meters with three to four rooms.
In addition, there were four large apartments, each with 185 square meters of living space with five rooms.
The floor plans of the apartments were accessed from a vestibule with a broom closet. A bathroom, kitchen and pantry were an integral part of each apartment.
The larger apartments were equipped with hot-water floor heating and the smaller apartments with stove heating.
In the attic, an ironing room and a drying loft were available for all tenants.
The flat roof allowed for a spacious, bright, and fully usable attic; in addition, aflat roof proved to be much less expensive than a conventional roof solution.
The basement had a laundry room, coal room, and storage rooms for tenants.
Analogous formal elements determine the design of the exterior facades of the Lessinghof.
Both rows of houses are connected by a recessed circular structure. Glazed window corners accentuate the dynamic transition between the cubic and curved building volumes.
The horizontal orientation of the building is emphasized by the horizontal window formats and the flat roof.
The continuous smooth facade facing the street is only interrupted by the projecting roofs of the building entrances.
The courtyard-side facade is characterized by superimposed semi-circular balconies that emphasize the central axis of each house unit.
Red and blue window and door frames contrast with the uniform white plaster of the facade.
In 1949, the dry floors were partially converted into apartments. In 1959, a workshop building was constructed in the courtyard area. In 1967, a garage wing was built.
Together with the neighboring Schuberthof, the Lessinghof has been a listed building since 1977.
In the summer of 2004, the building was renovated.