Architect: Dominikus Böhm
Hochheimer Straße 3, Bischofsheim, Germany
The parish church of Christ the King, whose plans were drawn by Dominikus Böhm in April 1926 and which was built by November of the same year, stands in the middle of the densely built-up small town of Bischofsheim.
To the outside, the church appears as a simple, rectangular hall in a combination of brickwork and structuring concrete elements with a seven-story tower added on one side.
The largely closed form of the church building results from the fact that the exterior walls in the east and north were built on the property line and therefore no window openings were possible.
The rectangular tower is articulated by horizontal cornice bands of concrete and is crowned in the area of the belfry by a concrete element perforated in casette form.
The masonry segments of the tower are articulated by means of parabolic openings filled with perforated masonry bond. The church clock is located in the uppermost segment.
A flight of steps leads to the west portal, which is inserted into an almost building-high pointed arch niche with a stepped reveal.
The interior is dominated by the parabolic lancet vault, which runs the entire length and rises directly from the terracotta floor.
The brass crucifix was designed by Hans Wissel from Cologne. The lead glazing of the windows and the pews are designs by Dominikus Böhm.
The interior, originally made of exposed concrete, was whitewashed in 1962.