1926 – 1930
Architect: Karl Ehn
Heiligenstädter Strasse 82–92, Boschstraße 1–19, Vienna
The Karl-Marx-Hof in Vienna-Heiligenstadt with 1300 apartments for about 5500 residents was built from 1926 to 1930 according to plans by Karl Ehn.
Karl Ehn was a student of Otto Wagner and had been employed at the Vienna municipal building office since 1909.
Planned as a city within the city, the 1.2‑kilometer-long complex was equipped with all infrastructures such as a dental clinic, pharmacy, kindergarten, library, youth center and central laundry at the time of its construction.
The construction of the residential yard happened in three stages. On October 12, 1930, the opening took place under Vienna’s mayor Karl Seitz.
The relatively narrow plot of land between the Franz-Josefs railroad line and Heiligenstädter Straße was to be developed with a closed housing estate while preserving the Hagenwiese, which had previously been used for gardening.
Karl Ehn designed a recessed large central wing with towers, crowned by flagpoles, to which garden courtyards adjoin at the sides.
By building the wings along the edges of the property, the architect allowed for expansive garden courtyards that accommodated the communal facilities and only built up eighteen percent of the property’s total area.
He designed the central part of the complex in the form of a courtyard of honor, with a total of six tower superstructures rising above wide-span arches.
The loggias of the apartments face the inner side of the courtyards.
The figures of colored stone on the wedge stones of the archways are by Josef Riedl and represent personifications of enlightenment, freedom, welfare and physical culture.
The bronze sculpture of the sower in the center of the courtyard is a work by Otto Hofner from 1920.
The Karl-Marx-Hof is the most famous urban housing complex of Red Vienna.
It is a listed building and was generally renovated from 1989 to 1992.