Munich: Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann
Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

1905 – 1907

Architect: Max Littmann

Pettenkoferstraße 11, Munich

The Anatomical Institute of the Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich was built from 1905 to 1907 as the New Anatomical Institute according to plans by the architect Max Littmann.

Even at the time of its construction, it was consi­dered unique in terms of its functional concept, technical equipment and the use of reinforced concrete.

Due to the use of exposed concrete for facades, walls, ceilings and outdoor facilities, the irregular three-wing complex with a central dome was one of the major works of the beginning of modernism and at the same time one of the first large reinforced concrete buildings in Germany.

The New Anatomical Institute is the successor building to the Anatomy built by Leo von Klenze between 1824 and 1825.

The building consists of a central building in east-west direction with a length of about ninety meters. At the ends of the central building is the west wing with a length of forty-one meters and the east wing with a length of fifty meters in a north-south direction.

The building is divided into basement, basement floor and three upper floors with a height of about twenty-seven meters.

The centrally located semi-circular dissecting room, which extends over two floors, is designed as a classroom with five rosette-shaped and open adjoining apsidal rooms for student work.

The dome above the micro­scopy room has a diameter of about twenty-two meters with a shell thickness of 10 cm and is one of the first domes made of reinforced concrete in Germany.

Other rooms in the anatomy include the lecture hall designed by Littmann in the shape of an amphi­theater, the micro­scopy hall, the anato­mical collection, library, stair hall, labora­tories and study.

The building survived the Second World War without signi­ficant destruction.

Today, the complex is a listed building and is still used as an anatomy by the Medical Faculty of the Ludwig-Maximilians-University of Munich.

From 2004 to 2006, an extension to the south was added to the west wing. In 2014, the building was exten­sively renovated.

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Anatomische Anstalt der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, 1905-1907. Architekt: Max Littmann

Institute of Anatomy Ludwig-Maximilians-University, 1905–1907. Architect: Max Littmann

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *