1927 – 1928
Architects: Hugo Schlösser, Wilhelm Friedrich Laur
Katharinenstraße 14, Friedrichshafen
At the beginning of the 20th century, Friedrichshafen developed into an important industrial city.
The construction of a second Catholic church in Friedrichshafen proved to be inevitable due to the associated increase in population.
Initial plans were dashed by the outbreak of the First World War.
In 1926, the parish acquired the land to build a new church.
The church was consecrated on November 25, 1928.
The three-nave basilica with a 58-meter-long nave and 46-meter-high tower is complemented by annexes in cubic forms on the west side.
The tower with a square ground plan is characterized by high slender sound openings and a six meter high gilded cross.
The tower and church facade are completely clad in clinker brick.
The west building is divided by a three-arched central arcade made of shell limestone. Above it rises the monumental crucifixion group by the sculptor Karl Rieber from 1928.
Under the arcades three entrances open to the church, above the central entrance there is a relief of St. Peter Canisius, also by Karl Rieber.
Inside, the central nave is spanned by ten reinforced concrete beams and ends in a pointed barrel vault over fifteen meters high. The two side aisles have flat roofs.
The interior is illuminated by narrow and high skylights.
In the east, a double-stepped, eleven-meter deep rectangular choir with the bronze sculpture „consummatum est“ by Toni Schneider-Manzell from 1970 closes the church.
At each side, the nave is bordered by seven arcades, each with a pointed arch that reaches almost to the skylights. Three more pointed-arch arcades are found under the organ.
The color scheme of the interior, which contributes significantly to its effect, was designed by August Blepp. In the side aisles there is a deep blue, which merges with earth tones in the arcades into a light yellow-gold hall.
Opposite the pulpit is a stone Christ figure by Tony Schneider-Manzell from 1930.
In 1944, the church was damaged but did not burn out. From 1965 to 1968, extensive renovation took place under the direction of architect Wilfried Beck-Erlang.
The formerly painted wooden ceiling was renewed and windows by the artist Lothar Quinte were installed.
These concrete glass windows from 1968 pick up the clinker brickwork in their fine structuring and fit harmoniously into the appearance of the church.