Architect: Arne Jacobsen
Kystvejen 24, Charlottenlund
The single-story, square building was originally equipped with a workshop, an office, a heating room and a restroom. Cars could enter the workshop through two garage doors on the north side. On the west side of the gas station are the only windows, next to them doors through which one entered the cashier’s area.
The roof of the gas station building has its highest point on the street side and slopes evenly to the rear.
On the facade hangs a clock, illuminated in red at night, which was installed at a later date.
The building, canopy and support are reinforced concrete structures. The gas station building is additionally clad with white ceramic tiles.
The round, mushroom-shaped roof with a single concrete support is painted white on its underside and is indirectly illuminated by three spotlights on the building and four spotlights on the support. Due to the reflection of the light, the tank area is illuminated bright as day even at night.
The shape of the canopy is reminiscent of the backrest of the Ant, a chair designed by Jacobsen in 1952.
All edges and corners of the building, the roof and the support are rounded and smoothly shaped. This design feature contributes greatly to the impression of uniformity of the building.
The gas station is still in operation and has gas pumps under the canopy. The interior, originally used as an office, has since been converted into an ice cream parlor.
In 2003, the architectural firm Dissing + Weitling (architects Otto Weitling and Hans Dissing were former employees of Arne Jacobsen) restored the gas station on behalf of the Gentofte municipality. The tiles on the facade were subsequently replaced.