Augsburg: Residential Complex Birkenhof

Wohnanlage Birkenhof, 1928. Architekt: Otto Holzer
Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

1927 – 1928

Architect: Otto Holzer

Schillstraße 80a‑m, Stralsunder Straße, Palmstraße, Linke Brandstraße, Augsburg-Lechhausen

The four-story square residential complex with passa­geways in the central axes of the east and west wings and store fixtures at the corners was built between 1927 and 1928 according to plans by Otto Holzer, the Augsburg city’s head building director.

Otto Holzer was a building councilor in Fürth from 1901, city building councilor in Augsburg from 1911 and head building director from 1913.

With its leafy, spacious inner courtyard, the Birkenhof offers usable and recrea­tional space and thus meets the demands of twenties archi­tecture for light and air in residential construction.

The Birkenhof was built as an auxiliary housing complex as part of the housing program for homeless and priority-seeking homeless people announced by the city of Augsburg in 1927.

The requi­rement was for apart­ments that were as simple and functional as possible, with furnis­hings that corre­sponded to the expected rental income.

The Birkenhof in the Lechhausen district comprised a total of 113 apart­ments ranging in size from 31 to 60 square meters.

The residential complex, which is enclosed on four sides and built as a perimeter block, has four stories throughout. The mid-axial towers of the east and west wings are elevated by a further storey.

The courtyard, acces­sible only through the portals of the east and west wings, has an area of 1850 square meters.

The stair­cases behind the doorways located on the side wings are charac­te­rized by a long window running over three stories.

The roof, which appears flat from the exterior view, turns out to be a monopitch roof from the interior courtyard view.

The façade is decorated with a single-headed eagle with outstretched wings bearing a plaque inscribed with the year of construction, 1928, as an indication of the city of Augsburg’s ownership of the building.

Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

 

Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927-1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Birkenhof, 1927–1928. Architect: Otto Holzer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *